The Keyser Mill By Chandice Dilmore and Buddy Senterfitt
The story about Keyser Mill began in the town of
Mr. Keyser moved his family again in
November, 1925. He
bought 80 acres of
land in the triangle between Galliver,
Baker. This area is
now known as
When Mr. Keyser bought the site, the mill house was located over the flood gates and the water wheel was in the middle of the swiftly flowing stream. Logs were brought to the mill by teams of oxen. The logs were either delivered to the mill by rolling them through a clearing to the mill or floating them in a pond.
In 1925, people could have their corn and whole wheat ground at the Keyser Grist Mill. The mill was operated by a water-powered wheel propelled by the moving stream. The wheels were horizontal with a vertical shaft attached to the upper millstore. This moved over the stationary bottom stone, slowing grinding the grain.
The Keyser Mill was “A Famous Old Working
Mill” which served local farmers around Baker for more than a
years. It was one
Mr. Keyser’s wife died in 1934, he sold the land and moved to