This symbol denotes a clickable picture, and in some cases, it will be supplied later.
Feature – means
there will be another webpage
attached at some point in time.
Town names not in bold are ones on which we are working.
Use your browser "Find" option or scroll to the town you are interested in.
Numbers refer to map location. For example, U37) refers to location number 37 in the upper map section.
The map is the one used in the Okaloosa County Heritage Book, Volume II; copies available at the museum. Some additional towns and info in the book that is not here. Bottom section of map is at end of page. Some towns will not appear on the map, while others that are on the map will not appear in this text. You may wish to check back later for additions and corrections as well as added info and photos.
1911 the community was a train work station which included an
mess hall with a cook for railroad workers.
The workers used hand pumped cars to travel so they could
on the track between Crestview and Florala. There was also a turpentine
there which employed a dozen or more workers.
U25) Almirante - 1827-1926, T5N,
R23W, Sec. 4, on the
The name comes from the Spanish word for admiral. Between 1839 –
42, 89 men listed their
address as Almirante – representing about 40 surnames of
early pioneers of the
area – they worked to clear the log jams and debris from the
The post office was established in 1827 and continued
service until it
was moved to Laurel Hill. It was a stage coach station in 1849 and a
Presbyterian Church was built in 1850, and a Baptist church built in
believe that Andrew Jackson marched through this community on his way
Community near the sound and
U10) Arbor Vitae - 1884, T4N, R22W, Sec. 22
This community was the predecessor of Dorcas. It was served by a
stagecoach and a local
version of the pony express. The
U62) Austin(ville) - 1845-65, Sec. 3, T3N.R2
U66) Baggett - 1888,
Located between Galliver and Milligan, sometimes called Baggett Creek.
U63) Baker - 1910-present, T4N, R24W, Sec. 6, Special Feature
First named Cobb or Old Cobb, the name was changed in 1912. One story goes: J.D.C.
Newton, an engineer
and stockholder in Bagdad Lumber Co. moved to town and married the
a man named Baker. Baker provided the money for
Also a story that Mr. Barrows came through the area on one
Jackson’s treks. Barrow
broke off from
the group at the
During the 1st three decades of the 20th century the town thrived: had a cotton gin, two doctors, Baker Bank, Ice plant/house, livery stable, fertilizer plant, gristmill, hotel, a newspaper and three grocery stores and a Masonic Lodge. The Baker school became the county’s first accredited school (1923).
Today there are eight churches located within a 4-mile radius of the center of town –and the block of stores at the town’s center have been restored to house a heritage museum, park and antiques shop.
U48) Barrow's Ferry - 1845, south of Almarante; ferry was built and operated by John
Barrow, Sr. 1826: 1st
precinct at Barrow's
ferry; Judges, Jeremiah
U74) Beaver Creek -1953-present, T4N, R25W, Sec. 6,
It had a school in 1912. Early families: Boyette, Martin, Russell
U59) Beech Branch - T4N, R23W, Sec. 25
The area has been overcome by woods but during the mid-1930s there was a single building there which served all the community’s needs. Located between Poverty Creek and Garden City, it was more a community than a town.
Grady Cadenhead says he attended grade school there as did others. Church services were held in the building on Sundays. "It was before separation of church and state." Grady recalls. "Besides, it wasn't prudent to build a separate place for each function; there wasn't that much money for frills in those days."
The Beech Branch Assembly of God Church was set in order
A post office opened in 1883, some say it was settled in
17 miles north of Crestview, it had a school, Baptist church, saw and
mills. Some say it was not settled until 1881. Families in the
Hollon, King, Steel,
Stewart, Turner; additionally some farmers and planters:
U49) Blackman - 1882-present, T5N, R24W, Sec. 22
In 1886 it listed a population of 15.
The community was located on the diving ridge between the
L13) Black Point -1882, T2S, R23W, Sec. 9
A mining & refining operation started at the start of WWI. Also called ‘reduction city’ because they refined the black peat harvested out of the swampy shore area. They ground, reduced (using steam boilers) and shipped it away for commercial use. At wars end locals hoped to keep the plant, known pre-war as ‘dye works’ going. But it did not survive. Lee Walton told of a terrible explosion and fire at the dye works; he was injured. After he recovered he looked for different work. Early families: Edge, McKnight, Walton, Gibson, Spenser.
Some say the Donaldson family was here in 1834. From 1911-1912, Boggy was a village and steam boat landing on Boggy Bayou. There were two turpentine companies and three general stores, a saw mill and a Notary Public. Population was 900 at the time. It had a post office from 1893 until 1910 when the area became known as Niceville.
Received the name “Boggy” from a peat deposit located at the mouth of Juniper Creek which flows into the bayou. Early families: Anchors, Armstrong, Burleson, Edge, Meigs, Nathey, Parish, Reynolds, Spence, Walton.
The area was originally settled on the southeast
U23) Brick - 1910-1921, NW of
This was a railroad shipping station along the Yellow
River Railroad. Julius
M. King was postmaster. The
L19) Bryant,–NE ¼ S-21,T-1S, R-24W
This was a sawmill settlement near Mary Esther.
This railroad stop had a turpentine still and log camp.
U34) Campton - 1900-present, T5N, R23W, Sec. 35,
Campton had two schools; one for blacks the other for
whites. It was a
high segregated town shaped by black
laborers and a few white landowners. There was a
was first named Brooks Landing after
John T. Brooks who started a sawmill here after the Civil War. A post
was established in 1913, and the name was changed to
The area was becoming a popular tourist and vacation
retreat. A post
office was opened in 1907 and a school opened in 1912.
Later, the town changed its name to
This was a crossroads area. See photo of the store.
U64) Chaffin - 1884, east of Crestview T3N, R24W, Sec. 22,
First settled in 1840 names for the man who built the
first saw mill
there, this community was near Baggett Creek and was located on the P/A
Railroad where it crossed the
Charlin - 1882, west of
Crestview on Old Spanish Trail on the
When the Cocke family’s homestead was
subdivided, the property was a
given the name Cinco Bayou because it bordered Five Mile Bayou
turn, Five was transposed into ‘cinco’ the number 5
in Spanish. During the
1950s, the town became a residential community supporting the increased
activities at Eglin Air Force Base and the expanding commercial and
enterprises of the
The scene would change as the Town began to develop. Several mobile home parks opened and were quickly filled with families. The 1960 census listed the Town with a population of 643, primarily due to the new families living in the mobile homes, which numbered more than 150 at that time.
During the 1960s, the residential character of the town
began to change
as the mobile home parks closed to make room for commercial businesses.
1966, a portion of
The 1970 census listed the Town’s population at
362. During the 1970s
the trend toward commercial development continued.
By 1980, commercial activities had increased and there
businesses in the Town with an estimated 600 employees.
In the 1980s,
The 1990 census counted 386 residents in the Town and after the current census is tallied, Cinco Bayou could boast nearly 500 residents.
Primarily a lumber camp, it was at the end of a railroad spur ; 6 miles of track were laid into the forest where they loaded timber for shipment. Lewis J. (“L.J.”) Nathey supplied cord wood for the railroad as the engines burned wood in those days when coal was not available. Britton Lumber Co. and the Long-Harbeson mill were there 1916 – 1918. The mill burned in 1918 and was not rebuilt and the little community disappeared into the forest. See photo of the commissary token. Early families: Harbeson, Long, Nathey.
U32) Clear Springs - 1967, T4N, R24W, Sec. 5;
Home of Bill Lundy, oldest surviving CW soldier in area;
thought to be
named for artesian springs in area.
community of farmers and timber men had two churches at one time. It also boasted a small school.
Uncle Bill said the “Yankees” who were
in nearby Garden City would come
to the spring’s area to get potable water.
Traveling preachers used the little school house for
revivals. It also
has a large cemetery
and early families were:
Cobb – Baker Special Feature
The land that became known as Cobb was owned by A.J.
Chaffin Co and
later sold to J.W. McCart. Ca 1905 the railroad which hauled logs
U12) Coolarethis Ferry - 1865, On Shoal River south of Dorcas
U33) Compton - 1953-present, T4N, R23W, Sec. 35
Corbet – 1909 NE ¼ of NE ¼ S-20, T-3N, R-27W 1909-1912
U2) Cowan - 1910, T5N, R22W, Sec. 23, NE of Schulman, 1904-5
This was a railroad shipping station and part of the
Railroad which was organized in 1887. It was along a rail line between
The City of
Parallel with this railroad is the Old Spanish Trail which
Deerland was a rail head/depot – a shipping
station for the Yellow River
Railroad ca 1887. Developers
their turpentine, lumber and other products to be shipped out of the
U15) Delaco - 1936-1953, T3N, R22W, Sec. 19
James Henry Long had a sawmill and commissary here. It was near Deerland where the Long family got its mail there at one time.
- 1910-present, T2S,
R23W, Sec. 24, populated in the 1830s but not appearing on maps till
Destin traces its immediate history to a fisherman,
Destin, who moved here from
Formerly named Oak Grove, this community’s post
office was set up in
1888 The Postmaster was Aram B. Dixon.
Later Postmaster was John. Baggett, Jr. The
Settlement began in the mid-1800s. It thrived due the naval stores industries. Cattlemen would bring their stock to the area for grazing and small family farms – as well as turpentine stills – dotted the area. Boothe, McSwain, Powell, Griner, Halford, Hart, Hinote, McCallum, McCellan, Miller, Spoon, Williams were among the pioneer families. Photo shows Mama Hinote sitting; daughters and Alex McCallum. (Donald McCallum)
At its zenith Dorcas had a school, general store, a
Woodmen Hall which
doubled as a church and a post office which opened in 1892.
Spanish explorers surveyed
14 miles north of Crestview; west 3 miles on SR 306; slight left go 3 miles on Old Ebenezer Rd. The 1st photo shows the cemetery entrance; the 2nd is a detail of one of the Christian Creek Burial houses; the 3rd photo shows several of the burial houses which have since been destroyed by a hurricane.
U21) Elberta - 1902, Near AL Line on Yellow River RR
This self-sufficient farming community was set up by Federal Government with 81 families occupying farms of 75-100 acres each. At its zenith the population was 400 and there were 60 homes. (Lembeck).
In 1939 a twelve grade school opened and in the school yard was a “teacherage” as well as a house for the principal and the agriculture teacher. (Most folks didn’t have cars) About a mile from the school was a commissary, gristmill, can mill, cold storage building.
Resident farmers had to show they were capable of doing the necessary farm work. A project manager oversaw this. Project managers over the years: Aubrey Hudson, Lance Richbourg, Dick Blackshear, Gordon Johnson, Jasper Stewart. By the start of WWII families started leaving the farms. See a detailed history in the museum research library.
This thriving town was just NE of Campton on L&N
RR on the
U39) Fisher - 1916, between Crestview and Deerland
bayou runs through
L32) Florosa - 1916- present, T2S R24W Sec. 13
Mr. Krause built the Florosa
Inn. The name was
coined by combining
the names –
Most of the homes and businesses in the Florosa area were
Santa Rosa Sound to take advantage of the water bourn traffic. From
sail powered to steam and motor
launches; all ferrying goods between
This was a sawmill settlement. A new post office was
(part of the Red Oak Community) and W.J. Franklin was Postmaster. The
In the early 1900s Galliver had a R/Rdepot, post office,
school, hotel and
at least five stores. The
Coca-cola Company had a warehouse by the
tracks. The depot
was a spur through
Baker to Falco (a bustling lumber town on the
Families living in the area between 1900 – 1950: Henderson, Livingston, Tullis, Reeves, Paulk, Carnley, Moore, Kirkland, Ashburn, Kimbro, Brunson, Merritt, Borrow, Locke, Williamson, Anderson, Gillis, Grice, Griffith, Summerlin, Atkins, Adkison, Stanley, Shofner, Gordon, Mainor, Ingram, Melvin, Austin, Carr, Yow,Pilant, Campbell, Savage. According to Donald Reeves’ research, Galliver’s depot agent, Alllen T. Carr, later became Clerk of the Court for the county.
U36) Garden City - 1910-present, T4N,
R23W, Sec. 15,
The community was primarily a railroad depot for shipping watermelons, blueberries and other produce. At one time the community was bigger than Crestview. There was a three-story hotel owned by Mr. Record; a post office and one room school, three grocery stores, a canning plant, hat shop for women, a commissary, turpentine and planer (lumber) mills. The planer mill was run by Henry and Charley Clary burned sometime in the 1920s.
Carolyn Senterfitt recalls being told that the town was founded by what they called “the northern bunch” who brought in large horses to farm with but they didn’t know how to farm in the sandy soil. They also tried to start a cannon factory but that failed also.
L23) Garniers - 1910-present, T2S,
R24W, Sec. 34,
This community had one the earliest post office and school
county’s coastal area. Located near the head of Garniers
Bayou (L22) - T1S, R23W,
Sec. 30, most of the
area was taken by
the US Government.
L18) Gattis - 1910-1920, SW of
This was a sawmill
U58) Givens Junction - 1920, S of Oak Grove, N of Baker
Aka. Gilmore Creek
– 1915 – 1920. The
Given’s Lumber Company was located here. Early families: Thompson; Steele; Hinley;
Golan - 4 miles north of Baker
U45) Good Hope - 1967, T6N, R24W, Sec. 34
Harper - 1920, WNW of Mary Esther
The town sprang up in the 1800s
L33) Harris - 1911-1920, west of
Harris later became known as Florosa.
The community grew up along coastal Hwy 98 so naturally it
a depot of sorts – transportation between
U54) Hester - 1910-1920, NE of Baker,
The Hester school building was also
used for church services.
area of Hester later became known as the “Barrow
U53) Hilton - 1920, S of Blackman
This was a flag stop on the railroad near Baker. Early family: Ray.
Hinote – Though we have not documented that such a town existed we know that the Hinote family was in business the Sugartown area and also in the Dorcas/Pond Creek area.
U79) Holt - 1884-present, T3N,
R25W, Sec. 33,
The community’s first real source of income was a sawmill known as Mart’s Mill. It was located on Canoe Creek with a ditch cut from the northeast corner of the mill pond to a ‘waste-way’ on Trawick Creek. The ditch transported logs to the mill and furnished enough water to run the mill. The mill was later owned by Jim Black (1820-1893) and was called Canoe Mill according to Holt resident, Eva Wadsworth.
Ann Spann notes in a newspaper article that it was not the prospect of the railroad which brought settlers to the area. It was the reality of timber from the virgin pine forest which covered the sparsely populated area.
Holt built his small log cabin just
north of where the railroad track would later to located. He had a
store in one
corner of the cabin and served residents who had settled in the area
on the hill”. Holt’s
store was located
along the stagecoach road which ran from
Another source of income was hauling ‘lite-ard (lightwood) knots’ along the railroad to dump sites. The wood, used as train fuel, sold for sixty cents per cord. The railroad paid for the wood with tickets or in cash. The tickets could be used at the local store. However, cash was only available once per month when the railway pay car came through the area. Another source of income was cutting cross ties from the many cypress trees and selling them to the railroad company.
1888 John W. Senterfitt established the
first school at Hurricane Head. In
several small turpentine stills sprang
up south of the
1909, W.T. Smith and his sons – Will,
Frank and Ed – built a sawmill west of the
1927, the first bus service came
through Holt. It
was a large car owned
by Tom Dollar who called the old car “The Jitney.” Jeremy Johnson and Justin
students at the
In its prime, the little town boasted two movie theaters. The Holt Hotel was near the cemetery. Mrs. Mabel Ates arrived in 1915 and raised nine children in the town. She took in washing and ironing to help rear her children. She was featured in a newspaper article on her 100th birthday.
To name just a few of the other
pioneer families associated with the area: Adams, Baldwin,
Cadenhead, Chestnut, Christian, Cooper, Dollar, Edenfield, Fisher,
Rowland, Sanders, Steele, Pippins,
L7) Holley – T1N, R23W, Sec. 25 & 26
According to “Florida Place Names” by Allen Morris, the community was settled in 1893 and said to have been named for a Baptist minister, the Rev. W. D. Holley. There were many sawmills in the area. Residents also bartered by selling fresh sea foods – oysters and fish.
U8) Horsehead -
Creek after WWI but , presently, we have found no documentation as to the actual community by that name.
L17) Howell - 1915-1932, T1S, R24W, Sec. 17
Named for the Howell
family of which Aaron A. Howell started the first fishing industry on
U80) Kellys Mill -present, T3N, R25W, Sec. 30
Kelly’s Mill was on Bone Creek not far from Holt. It was owned and operated by Kelly and Cutts family. Eventually, Kelly’s descendants moved to Niceville, and then to Ft. Walton where they built another mill – a saw mill – near the intersection of West Hollywood Blvd and Beal Pkwy.
Kenneth - 1910, SW of Holt
Located on Hwy 90 west from the Okaloosa County 393 intersection.
U3) Laurel Hill, T6N, R22W, Sec 5.
(Called Laurelville on maps through 1915) – Called “Old California” during the Civil War, it became Laurel Hill ca 1900. Business in the town boomed between the late 1800s and early 1900s. They grew cotton, corn, sugar cane and peanuts. At the time the town had hardware, dry goods stores, a drug store, bank grocery stores, a boarding houses, hotels, and a telephone office. One of the big events in the area was their round up for hogs and cattle to be driven to the dipping vats.
The town was on the wane when the 1930s depression came
along and the
timber was getting scarce. Home
Father of Okaloosa Co. Bill Mapoles, it was a larger, more populated
Crestview when Bill moved his family from there to the still developing
Early families: Chestnut,
Cadenhead, Hart, Finlayson, Axelson,
L10) Little Bayou - T1S, R23W, Sec. 31
Lockendam – 1916
L11) Longwood – This area grew up along Garnier’s Bayou, southeast of Camp
Pinchot. Presently, a housing development, the area once had turpentine stills and farmers.
U27) Magnolia (Budville, Budtown)
The community dates back to when Andrew Jackson traveled through this area. Daniel Campbell and his wife Effie McLean were among the earliest settlers. It is said that James Decatur Clary, grandson of James and Elizabeth Clary moved to this area in 1737 along with his bride Mary A.E. Carter.
At one point, lived within shouting distance of each other were Bud Clary, Bud Howard, Bud Campbell, Bud Carter – but Clary’s suggested the community be called the bay trees that grew there.
Early families: Baggett,
The first settler of Mary Esther came in 1842 when Jesse
Rogers and his
family drove a large cattle herd from
During the mid-1850's John Newton, a minister and teacher,
the area west of
There are three stories about how Mary Esther got its
name. One says it
was the name of
Thomas Jefferson Pryor, born in
Thomas Jefferson Pryor became postmaster of Mary Esther in 1899, and members of his family served in that position until 1972. Notably, Mary Pryor, who was T.J. Pryor's daughter in-law & wife of George, served as Postmistress from 1938 - 1972.
William C. Pryor, Mary Esther's pioneer and noted
educator, was among
the pupils taught by John Newton. Pryor later became
Mary Esther was incorporated in 1946 with E. Roger Pryor as the first Mayor. Page Bacon was the second Mayor, and Tom Pryor, the third Mayor, served for 28 years.
L31) Metts - 1910-present, T1N, R25W, Sec. 28
Ten miles NE of Milton, its
Milligan - 1892-present, T3N, R24W, Sec. 22
Ca. 1840 the first settler came to this area, known at the time as Chaffin’s Station. In this logging camp, the Chaffins had built a turpentine still. Prior to the Civil War, Simeon Noyes built a gristmill nearby. The gristmill was later owned by James R. Miller , then Alfred Garrett. Rufus Milligan is said to have brought the first sawmill to the area (1870s). By 1876 there was a sawmill, mercantile store, barbership, blacksmith, livery stable, saloon and a ferry, known as Brown’s Ferry.
The town grew quickly between 1881 – 83 when the railroad came through. In 1886 the population was 200 with two hotels, two churches, post office, gristmill with lumber the principal shipment. The town’s name was changed in 1889 to Milligan. When the county was created it became the County Seat. The courthouse was in the Scotch Manufacturing Co. The County Seat was later moved to Crestview, due in small part to the flood prone area around Milligan.
Groups of note:
Moreno Point -1882-present, Due North of Destin on the Bay
Once known as Boggy (1880s) it took its present name in 1910. After the Civil War settlers were looking for land to homestead. Access to waterways was a plus, also. Fishermen caught, processed and sold mullet; shipped naval stores products and more. The first photo shows the Spence Bros. Fish House. 1950-60s; the next photo of Child’s Drug Store, on Hwy 20, was made in the late 1950s. Early on it had three general stores, school, grist mill, saw mills, and more. Early families: Lewis, Carr, Brabham, Harris, Spence, Walton, Edge, Friewald, Meigs, Padgett, Nathey.
U26) Newell - 1910-1920, T6N,
R23W, Sec. 28,
Newell was on the mail route between Oak Grove & Bedaville. Its name was changed from “King” in 1897. Davidson family.
Norriego Point - 1882-present, T2S, R23W, SE of Destin
U56) Nubbin Ridge -
Years ago the main crops in this area were corn, cotton, peanuts, soybeans for commercial use. “Nubbins” were some of the best ear of corn grown anywhere. Thus the crossroads three miles north of Baker became known as Nubbin Ridge. The community didn’t have a post office or a school, a hotel or a restaurant, they did have a baseball team.
However, Robert Stewart did build a store in 1942 (later
Nubbin Ridge Grocery). The
two daughters and were interested in having a safe, reputable place for
socialize. The store helped that cause and youngsters would gather and
mile up to
Early families: Austin, Kilcrease, Bush, McVickers, Holloway, Johnson, Cosson, Langley, Peacock, Brunson.
U30) Oak Grove -1870-present, T5N, R23W, Sec. 17,
It said to have been established in 1828; also seems to have been a second town of the same name, nearby; once called Old Walton.
After the Civil War the Scottish farmers who had settled
reluctant to engage in the lumber and turpentine business which had
thrive. Author Allen Morris says that John F. Thomas opened a general
here in the 1870s and the live oaks suggested a name when the
At one time the community had two general stores, a
grist mills, the Walton Hotel and
with the arrival of military families stationed at the US Air Force base, It is near the south gate of Eglin, AFB
U9) Okaloo - 1936-present, T5N, T22W, Sec. 19
U78) Ollinger - 1888, NE of Holt on RR
U60) Osteen - 1884, NE of Crestview
In 2008 the area that was once Otahite is
no longer visible. It
has faded back
With the advent of railroads and easier
travel the community’s significance waned. Today the area has
reminiscent of the old days when wild turkey and gopher populated the
branches, and rivers...days when the juniper, magnolia, bay and cypress
among others, grew in abandon along the byways and waters of northwest,
John Wilkinson, Jr., Sylvester Cotton and Dallas Peaden (brothers-in-law) settled at Otahite. They built a church-school and hired a teacher from up north.
Unfortunately, the teacher had
tuberculosis when he arrived. Many
people contracted the disease, died and were buried in
“The local people pronounce it OTA-HIGHT but it is a Creek Indian word and they stress all the Letters. Native American, Nathan Chessher, says that if it had an E on the end it was because that is the way they said it O-TA-HI-TE, as a T was pronounced as a D it would have been said as Oda-hi-De.”
Jackson Peaden homesteaded the family property and built a house just south of Oak Grove in 1885. His sons, Dallas, Bartlet and Jack build built homes there, too. The Dallas Peaden house was built in 1895 and is now of the county’s oldest, finest architectural examples of its time. The area became known as Peadontown. The Peaden brothers dabbled in sheep herding, logging and farming. At one time, the sheep herd reached eight thousand plus. There is no town there today.
U6) Pineway - 1892-present, T5N,
R22W, Sec. 18, just NE of Campton on
A shipping station along the Yellow River Railroad - Pineaway PO opened in June 1890 and closed in 1896.
Proposed by developers to become a town & harbor
and gateway more
development. Many newspaper articles (1925-1932) including discussion
area as key to the lack of an adequate passageway into
Located south of
Located north of the
Pyron Chapel, also location in this general area, has an extensive history to be found in the museum’s research library. Near the church there was, at one time, the Pyron Work Camp.
Red Rock –
R27W, Sec. 8,
U70) Rock Creek - 1936-present, T5N,
R 25W, Sec. 6,
Laurence A. Fleming was Postmaster.
Mr. Weinzerel predicted oil in the area. (Pensacola News
Journal) and as
a result the deepest well drilled in our area was at
U4) Schulman - 1915-1920, NE of Falco Junction
L5) Seminole - 1967-present, T1S, R22W, Sec. 23
Located on the north shore of the
include Fred Gannon Rocky
Bayou State Recreation Area,
L12) Shalimar - 1953-present, T2S, R23W, Sec.5
It is said to have been named by one of James E.
probably after the river in
According to Jean Shoffner Mahaffey, Col. A.R. Shoffner,
auctioneer, land appraiser, and subdivision developer, started
Shoffner was a shrewd businessman. He bought the land in 1942 but did not come to the area until 1945. He sold 25 foot lots for $100.00 with a dollar down and 5 cents a day (later it was a dollar a month).
It originally stretched from approximately the
U38) Silver Springs - 1953-present, T4N, R23W, Sec. 33
In 1891 it had a one room school house and a Baptist
church. Its name
was taken from the nearby Silver Creek.
Early families: In the 1890s,
Henry Griffith & Tom Hinote were the tycoons of
Sugartown in the
early 1900s. It was
a thriving town for
about ten years. It was a saw mill area built on
Pronounced sweer, the town had an intermittent post office
The first settlers began arriving in 1800s.
Most were Swedes and Norwegians lured from
This was a farming community and folks worked from sundown to sunup. But they had their share of ice cream socials, church supper and one of the three stores sold wine. At its zenith, Svea had a school (closed in 1937), two churches, a small cotton gin and saw mill and a railroad depot. The photo is (floridamemory.com) Stearns & Culver Lumber Company engine #1 at logging camp, e.g. Svea.
was a rail stop on the Baker to Galliver Cut-off. It cost .12 cents to ride, one-way, from Tank to Baker. Photo of Jack & Olin Garrett ca 1930s.
A small settlement was established, built around a sawmill located near the north side of Tom’s Bayou. In 1901, Allen Brown, Jr., established a homestead here and acquired title to 15,000 acres of timbered land.
James E. Plew purchased a
In 1935, Mr. Plew laid the foundation of
what was to become Eglin Air Force Base. In that year he leased 137
land south of Tom’s Bayou to the City of
U40) Wardville - 1865,
Located about where the CSX tracks cross the
White Point - 1882-present. T1S, R22W, Sec. 35
Located on the
L24) Wright - 1921-present, T1S,
R24W, Sec. 34,
It was not until 1961 that citizens in this portion of the
L34, 35) Wynnehaven (Beach) - 1936-present, T2S, R25W, Sec. 18 & 19
Located along Hwy 98, east of Florosa,
transport in (now)